ST. JOSEPH’S DAY FEAST AT BAR EOLO
Sunday, March 15th, 2015
3pm to 6pm
We are excited to announce our 2nd Annual Saint Joseph’s Day feast, taking place at Bar Eolo: Sicilian Kitchen & Wines on Sunday, March 15th. In keeping with St. Joseph’s Day, a three-tiered altar, representing the holy trinity, will be decorated with flowers, limes, candles, wine, fava beans, statues, specially prepared cakes, breads, and cookies as well as other meatless dishes (because the feast occurs during Lent).
$75 per person (not including tax and gratuity) includes the following:
~ Live Sicilian music and dance by a Sicilian trio, led by the renowned performer, Michela Musolino.
~ 3 hour open bar. With a selection of Stemmari white and red Sicilian wines & soft drinks. All other drinks are charged by consumption.
~ An elaborate feast with multiple cold and hot vegetarian dishes and breads. Items will also be available for our vegan & gluten-intolerant guests. Our wait staff will serve you table side. Because St. Joseph was a carpenter, foods will be served containing bread crumbs to symbolize saw dust. Dishes include:
- chickpea fritters (panelle) topped with eggplant caponata
- flat bread pizza (sfincione) with various vegetable toppings
- Bruschetta with house-made ricotta, pistachios & spicy pepper infused honey
- Sicilian passaluna olives, served warm
- Various salads
- Spinach rice balls stuffed with a mushroom-eggplant ragù
- Cauliflower souffle with a pecorino cheese fonduta
- Fava bean puree (macco)
- Pasta with asparagus, fava beans & artichokes
- Baked pasta al forno with layers of grilled vegetables, béchamel, a cherry tomato sugo & Sicilian cheeses
- Busiate pasta with an almond-tomato-basil pesto alla trapanese
- Annelletti pasta cake (timballo) in an eggplant crust with ricotta & mozzarella
- Mushroom, squash & cauliflower gratin
- Ricotta cream stuffed doughnuts (sfinci di san giuseppe)
- Biscotti misti
- Creme puffs stuffed with pastry cream in a chocolate mousse
- Spiced crepes (ova murrina) with almond-milk custard (biancomangiare)
Note that in case you cannot make our March 15th feast, Bar Eolo will be running St. Joseph’s specials until the actual holiday on Thursday, March 19th.
Finally, for those who understand Italian, here is a video shot in my grandmother’s village, St. Anna, in which my cousins and friends present a St. Joseph’s Day altar. Even without understanding the language, you can witness images of the elaborate altars prepared in honor of St. Joseph. St. Anna is one of the few remaining towns in Sicily that continue this holiday tradition in such an elaborate and detailed manner. ~ Melissa